Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Yearly

Roughly a year ago I wrote this:

"Recently, I went to the doctor for my yearly exam. It was the first time I’d gone in three years! Crazy how time flies…As I was speaking with the doctor, our conversation went something like this:

Dr.: Do you take a calcium supplement?

Me: No

Dr.: Do you take a multi-vitamin including vitamin D?

Me: Um…no.

Dr.: How often weekly do you exercise for at least 30 minutes?

Me: Maybe one. (By this point I wanted to crawl under the chair)

Dr.: Do you have any concerns?

Me: No, not really.

Dr: Well, I’m glad that you came in today. It’s important that, even as busy moms, we take time to for ourselves.

Her comments resonated with me. I need to make my health a priority – that includes exercising, eating right, taking vitamins, and going for regular checkups! I need to for me, and I need to be an example for my family."

Even after that appointment, I still wasn't ready to make changes in my life. It took me a few months of processing this experience before I was ready to stop making excuses and start making changes.

I bring this up, because yesterday I had my yearly physical. As any girl can attest, it's not something that one looks forward too. Although I wasn't thrilled about the "personal" part of the appointment, I was elated to see my doctor. To show her that I have changed. To prove that I have made my health a priority.

Yesterday our converstation started like this:

Doctor: Well, hello skinny.

Me: I am working on it!

D: You are looking good. How have you been?

Me: Good. Things are well. I am ready to answer all of your questions and I won't feel like such a heal this time. :-)

D: Oh, I can tell that you have made changes. I know that the past couple of years were tough with your job and small children. We all have times when our in our life when health isn't really the focus. I am glad that things have turned around for you.

This choice, to be healthy, isn't easy. But being overweigh wasn't either. Today, I am thankful for the changes I have made and I look forward to more success and struggles as I continue. I am already looking forward to next year - maybe I'll be able to tell my doctor I completed a marathon (or atleast a 1/2 marathon...)!



Have you had a time in the last year where you wanted some redemption regarding your health? What did you do to get it?

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! What a wonderful change! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I had a yearly about 6 months ago. I'm still working on making all the changes we talked about.

    ReplyDelete