Monday, March 28, 2011

Conversations

"Put down that Diet Coke. You aren't even supposed to be drinking pop."

"No, you don't need another slice of veggie pizza. You have had enough."


"Get out of the candy dish. M & Ms are NOT healthy for you."


These are phrases that I have been know to say. Usually they are directed to my children. This weekend, though, they were in my head. That internal battle of mind and body.

I struggled this weekend. All I wanted to do was eat. Food that is usually easy for me to pass up caused me to fight with myself. These foods are in my world. With a family, I can't ban foods. I want to learn self control so that I can live a balanced life.

Pizza is a part of life. We have pizza night at least once a month. They have control. They eat until they are not hungry (usually a piece or two) and are done. Why can't I do that? This weekend I wanted to eat until I was stuffed. I didn't, but then my mind kept thinking about the leftovers in the fridge. I knew if I caved into the temptation that I would be fine temporarily, and then I would feel guilty. I didn't cave. But it took until the next morning to stop yearning for that stupid pizza.

Sunday was a repeat, but this time with M&Ms that my husband bought while running errands. The whole family likes peanut M & Ms. I can't tell them not to eat them because I lack self control. I need to find balance. I had a small hanful, but wanted more. Despirately. Thank you to my blogging friends, Sabrina and Ann, who offered some kind words via Twitter. I needed outside encouragment. Thank you, girls!

So, this weekend was tough. I had converstations with myself and via Twitter that helped immensely. I made it and hope that I will have a better grasp on this week.


How do you handle those stressful moments filled with temptations? What helps you get through them - places, peoples, sayings?

2 comments:

  1. Anytime, I have been through it, too. I feel like living a healthy life is a life-long journey, and it's ALWAYS going to be work - sometimes it comes easy and sometimes it's a struggle!! You did the right thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the struggles with food as well. I think it is part of the lifelong battle we will all face. You can't escape food. While I don't know if food is an addiction for you, or me or any of us, I have heard it being equated to forcing an alcoholic to have just one drink (or in this case 3 or so) a day. You have to eat, but you need to do it in moderation and make the right choices.

    The real world is full of Pizza and M&M's and cupcakes. I live in a house where there is ALWAYS junk. I find if I have something that I would like more it is a better bet that I will stay on track. For example I like Sahale Snacks Pom. Vanilla cashews better than Reese PB Cups. So I make sure I have those available.
    If pizza is dinner, I make sure I have a big salad with lots of fun things in it, like different textures and flavors in it to go with just a slice, or perhaps a different dinner completely. Yes it is more work to cook two dinners but I will do it.

    I don't live in a world of No's! and absolutes. So if I decide that I wanted to have something I just need to plan for it. If I can put it off for a day or two and still want it then I get it.

    The battle never stops, food will always be there, but you can win!

    ReplyDelete