Monday, January 10, 2011

Little Eyes

It finally dawned on me this weekend, while baking with my daughter, that indeed her and her brother's eyes are watching me.
Sunday Sophie was helping me make popcorn cake. When we had all the gooey popcorn mixture in the pan she said to, "Mom, you can't have any."

"Why?" I asked, honestly thinking she would comment about it not being healthy.

"Because, Mom, the last time you made this with Greatsie, you picked out the green gumdrops. We aren't supposed to pick at our food like that, so you can have any," was what she replied, in an oh so matter-of-fact manner.

She was right. In December, when my grandmother (her Greatsie) and I made it for Christmas, I picked out the gumdrops I didn't like. I didn't think that Soph noticed. And if she had, I didn't really think that it mattered.

And then it hit me. This girl isn't just paying attention to me in regards to large things (not swearing, buckling my seatbelt, etc.), she is watching me. Every. Single. Thing. She is absorbing. Processing. Learning.

So, after our family function, when I really just wanted to relax with the family and watch a movie, I changed into workout clothes. I put in a workout DVD and I shredded.

While I exercised, she would walk in the room, do a move or two and then go back to the livingroom for the movie. She didn't say anything, but I know that her eyes were watching. She was absorbing. And, hopefully she is learning - just like me.

Soph, exercising with me on Friday, being my "Helper Girl."

1 comment:

  1. Your little girl is darling! Love the ballerina outfit with the dumbbells! It's so true how kids absorb EVERYTHING. I hope to have my eating habits under better/complete control once we do have kids. I don't want them to learn my bad habits.

    Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete