Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fit and Validation

Yesterday I weighed myself. The scale read 170.4. But, as the day went on, I got nervous. Maybe I read it wrong. Maybe it said 174.0. By last night I had convinced myself that because I hadn't worked out in days and I was near or just over my calories all week, that I must have made a mistake.

Sometimes the mental part of this journey is the worst. It tries to get the best of me.

This morning I got on the scale again (I know...don't weigh yourself day, and usually I don't). I had to prove to myself that it wasn't 174. It read 168.6! A new set of tens!



With the confirmed number, I thought today would be a great day to try the smaller jeans (size 12) that I bought a couple weeks ago. They buttoned when I bought them, but they weren't comfortable because they were still tight around my middle.

When I put them on, they fit.

I am wearing them and honestly am still in a bit of disbelief. They aren't loose. They hug my body. I know that's how they should be. But, for some reason not having the mental comfort of loose fitting pants, my brain today is thinking that I am back to where I was 23 pounds ago (when 16s were fitting snuggly).

It's like when my pants were loose it was some kind of validation for my mind. A daily reminder that I had lost weight. Today with pants that fit, that validation is gone. It's a strange feeling. I honestly know I should be feeling proud of my accomplishments thus far, instead of doubting where I am. Oy!

Has anyone else experienced this feeling when you actually wear clothes that fit? How did you overcome it? Do share. Thanks, friends, for all of your help and support!

2 comments:

  1. Sara - I think sometimes we share a brain! I am sure that sounds weird but seriously this was something I was just thinking about the other day. I have been having major mental issues with wearing stuff that fits and is not baggy. There is some kind of comfort when you put on your old pants and they practically fall off - you have done something, you have made a huge change! I have to bring people with me when I shop for clothes because I would probably still buy the bigger size because I am just not used to wearing things that are form fitting. I have used my clothes as a way to hide my body for so long - it's not comfortable yet to "show it off!". Keep up the great work! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the lower weight, and ALSO on the smaller jeans! Great job with donating all of those clotes - you deserve to be in NEW clothes!! :) You are doing so fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete