Monday, April 11, 2011

Purging

Who would've thought that something like cleaning out your closet could such a rollercoaster? Surely not me. It started a few weeks ago and I don't think that the ride is over yet.


I was elated when I was too small to fit into my pants. Good-bye 16s! I went and purchased some 14s and all seemed right again in the world (well, atleast my world).


Then, a couple of weeks ago at the PFG Coffee and Converstation event, Jen, said that should get a medium instead of a large t-shirt. I have always worn XL, so I thought I was doing great with the L, but I listened to her advice. She proceeded to remind me that clothes should be snug, not tight, to fit and flatter your body. I bought the M. For a few hours I hesitated to try it on, worried that it wouldn't fit. But when I finally gathered enough courage to put the shrit over my head, I couldn't have been more thrilled. It fit! I wore it for the remainder of the day and even slept in it that night. I still can't believe that the tag on something that fits me actually has an 'M' on it.


So, back to the purging. I took Jen's advice and started to pick through my closet. 7 years worth of pants, shrits, sweaters, shorts, and dresses...loose. Too loose.


At first it was fun to take the clothes out. First went all pants and shorts. That seemed easy. Something about getting rid of that number was cathardic.


Next up were the sweaters. My collection of sweaters was quickly reduced by more than half. I love sweaters. This is where I started to panic. My closet was becoming rather bare.


The it was dresses. 4 dresses gone. 3 remain, but they are ones that haven't fit since I've had children. This will be the year for those cute A-line summer beauties.


Finally came the shirts. Panic about my lack of clothing had set in by this time. I took out shirts that were way too big. Honestly, though, I kept quite a few just to have clothes in my closet and because that "just in case" bug hit. Not sure why...just in case I run out clothes, just in case I put weight back on....


Proud of the clothes that I purged, and I know that there is still work to be done. I have to deal with the "just in case" bug and realize that this is all part of the change.


On the brighter side, my husband suggested a stop at the outlet mall on our way back from Duluth. I was able to purchase 5 shirts, a pair of khakis for work, a dress, and a size 12 pair of jeans (those are a little tight, but they button, and will fit soon) for around $100.00. Not quite as much as I removed from the closet but it's definately a start~



2 comments:

  1. Omg, i've done the same thing. Awesome but awful at the same time!! Congrats on your accomplishments of GETTING to a smaller size!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the one part about this journey that sucks for me....needing new clothes! As a full time student I cant just go out and buy stuff all the time so im stuck wearing stuff that is to big until I HAVE to buy something...I wear the same 2 pair of jeans all the time shhh ...but when I do get something new it feels awesome

    ReplyDelete