Monday, March 21, 2011

Guten Appetit


The past couple of weeks I have really focused on planning.

"Failing to plan is planning to fail!"

I have thought through my meals for the week, and made a mental list. Fruits and vegetables fill my cart, followed by meat - lots of chicken, milk, eggs, and bread (white for the kiddos, and wheat sandwich thins for me). I have cut way back on buying foods from the aisles, and what I have bought I have really been trying to watch the nutrition, especially calories and sodium.
**********************
Typically during the week my breakfast looks like this:
The containers are vitamins, and I pack a protein bar. I know that some may argue that that isn't the greatest breakfast, but it's what works for me. I don't have much of an appetite right away, so I can eat my protein bar at school while my students have their morning snack.
This is lunch:
A salad, chicken breast pieces (~2 oz.), fat free dressing, fresh fruit, and yogurt.
My afterschool snack varies. I love the peppermint stick Luna bars, but often snack is a fruit (apple has been the one of choice), or some cocoa dusted almonds.
The other thing that has been really important for me to pack daily is water. Lots of water. I try to get atleast 8 glasses a day before I am done with work. I bring two 32oz. bottles of water with me every day.
**************************
Tomorrow I won't be packing a lunch. I am on school break for two weeks. I am super excited for the time with my kids, but this is a bit nerve-wracking for me. It is much easier to eat a salad when that is the only thing that you have with. At home, on break, there are other options.
In the past, breaks have been a struggle for me. I have a huge issue with not-eating with my kids. I believe that when they eat, I should be having a meal too. But this break I have planned and I am ready!! I am ready to continue what have been working on since January - leading by example - days full of well balanced and nutritious food.

2 comments:

  1. Great job with the meal planning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome meals Sara! You are looking great by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete